Friday, September 19, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal & Vanilla Bean Oatmeal



Mmmm... oatmeal! It has been getting cold here and a warm bowl of oatmeal in the morning has been so comforting. Of course, I get bored with the same old bowl of oatmeal with a little brown sugar sprinkled in. So, I turned to the wonderful world of food blogs and I wasn't disappointed. I found some great oatmeal recipes.


This week I have tried two; Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal from Veggie Terrain and Vanilla Bean Oatmeal from Hot Off The Garlic Press. Both were amazing!


The raisin cookie oatmeal was out of this world! I loved how the walnuts provided some crunch and the cinnamon and nutmeg just highlighted the oatmeal. It really did taste like a cookie! So good!


The vanilla bean oatmeal was also great! It was more subdued, but not in a bad way. It had that classic vanilla flavor. If you think it is too expensive to use a vanilla bean for oatmeal, check out EBay! I didn't even think you could order vanilla beans on EBay, but you can and I did - for a heck of a lot cheaper than at the grocery store! Also, you could just use vanilla extract for the oatmeal, but I LOVE vanilla beans! I didn't take a picture of this oatmeal because it just looks like a plain bowl of oatmeal. But, I promise you, the flavor is anything but plain!!!


I will be trying another oatmeal recipe soon, so keep an eye out for that!


Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal


1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup raisins
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar (or to taste)
1/4 cup walnuts
2 pinches ground cinnamon (or to taste)


Boil water and milk in medium saucepan. Stir in oatmeal & raisins, & reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 3 - 5mins.


After oatmeal has cooked, remove pan from heat & stir in vanilla & nutmeg. Next, stir brown sugar into oatmeal.


Place oatmeal in individual serving bowl & sprinkle with walnuts & cinnamon.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


Vanilla Bean Oatmeal


1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
Pinch of salt
Brown sugar, optional


Boil milk and water with vanilla bean. Add oatmeal and pinch of salt; cook until done. Pour into bowl, add brown sugar, if desired.

4 comments:

priscilla joy said...

this looks delicious, i am going to have to try this!

priscilla joy said...

i have an award for you on my blog cristine!

Anonymous said...

ooh...more recipes I'm gonna have to copy soon. My kids love oatmeal and I am so trying these!

Monica said...

The oatmeal raisin cookie oatmeal is all sorts of deliciousness - I am eating it as I type! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails