Wednesday, September 3, 2008

And the obsession continues.....


This morning I made Strawberry and Chocolate Chip Scones and they were fantastic!!!I found a base scone recipe on Recipezaar. The recipe is for the dough and you add in whatever mix-ins you want. I had fresh strawberries in the fridge and we all know chocolate makes everything better! I can't wait to make this recipe again and try new mix-ins.

I have started cutting scone recipes in half so that I only have one disc. Then I only bake half of the disc and freeze the rest for a later date. This helps me from eating 800 scones a day!
If I haven't said so before, I heart scones!

Sweet Coffeehouse Scones
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
11 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and brown sugar, until well incoporated. Cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix into the flour mixture. Keep cutting in the butter(or you can use your hands) until you incorporate the butter into the flour and it looks like it's the consistancy of cornmeal.
Add the milk and vanilla extract, and mix to form a dough. If dough is too wet to work with, add a little more flour till you have a moist dough, but it's workable. Add your mix ins and mix till well distributed.
Cut dough in two (or cut in two before adding the mixins if you want two flavors) and shape into 2 rounds, 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle with sugar and then cut into 8 wedges. Seperate slightly to help cook. Cook for 15 - 17 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through in the middle.

3 comments:

A_and_N said...

Beautiful scones Christine! And thhey look fairly easy to make. I'll have to try these out soon :)

Maggie said...

I'm not a scone fan, but the fresh strawberries in these make them sound SO good! I have to try them.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Your scone is just beautiful! It's nice to have a basic recipe to play arround!

Related Posts with Thumbnails