Monday, September 29, 2008

Daring Bakers Past Challenge: Red Velvet Cake



*NOTE* TWD post will be up this afternoon.

Is there anyone who doesn't think of "Steel Magnolias" when thinking of Red Velvet Cake? The whole time I was making this cake I kept thinking, "Man, I wish I knew how to shape this into an armadillo!"

Red Velvet Cake was the March 2007 Daring Bakers challenge. The group decided to let each member choose their own recipe for the cake as opposed to all making the same one.

I chose a recipe from Paula Deen. You can view the recipe here.

I cut the recipe in half and baked it in 3 6" rounds. It turned out wonderfully. Believe it or not, I have never had red velvet cake before and therefore I have nothing to compare it to. But, I have had cake before and this was definately good!


I omitted the nuts and coconut from the icing since I was sharing this cake with Monica who likes neither of those things! The cake was amazing without them, so no harm done. However, I think that if you are a nut and coconut fan that you should definately try the cake with them. It could only enhance it, right? Next time I may just have to do that!

3 comments:

The McBride Family said...

You really do love me leaving things off foods JUST for me!! IT really was FABULOUS by the way!!!

Lori said...

I did the Red Velvet cake too. The same recipe. And I also mentioned the armadillo in my post. No I dont think I could not think of it. Too funny. You cake is so red! Yum!

Janet said...

Ooh, yours is so pretty. I think it's definitely better in 3 layers than 2.
Every time I think of that cake/movie I think of the gray frosting and how she couldn't make snakes since she didn't have the counter space!

Related Posts with Thumbnails