Sunday, September 7, 2008

Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones


I know, I know.... Another scone. But when I get obsessed with something, I can't help myself! I just ordered a scone cookbook from Amazon, too, so here is your warning. Many a scones will be appearing here! :)

This recipe comes from Tyler Florence. They were so tasty! The orange glaze reminded me of Froot Loops. That isn't a negative thing, though! I make these orange mini muffins just because they taste like Froot Loops! I don't buy sugar cereal (nor do I really eat cereal period), so I like that I now have two recipes that remind me of it!

I'd say the only negative thing about this recipe is that you are supposed to wait for the scones to cool before glazing and then wait for the glaze to harden. Um.... do they not know me??? I have to eat these right out of the oven! And to be honest, I didn't notice much of a difference between the one I ate right out of the oven and the half of one I ate 15 minutes later! So, eat them whenever you choose!

*Note: I used buttermilk and frozen blueberries. I cut them into triangles (this recipe only makes 1 disc, so no need to halve!) as opposed to dropping them in mounds. Maybe I'll try that next time! Also, I cut the glaze recipe in half and it was PLENTY!*


Orange Glazed Blueberry Scones

2 cups unbleached flour, plus more for rolling berries
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut in chunks
3/4 cup buttermilk or cream
1 egg
1 pint fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; mix thoroughly. Cut in butter using 2 forks or a pastry blender. The butter pieces should be coated with flour and resemble crumbs.

In another bowl, mix buttermilk and egg together, and then add to the flour mixture. Mix just to incorporate, do no overwork the dough. Roll blueberries in flour to coat, this will help prevent the fruit from sinking to the bottom of the scone when baked. Fold the blueberries into batter, being careful not to bruise. Drop large tablespoons of batter on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown. Cool before applying orange glaze.

Orange Glaze:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 oranges, juiced and zested

To prepare Orange Glaze: combine butter, sugar, orange zest, and juice over a double boiler. Cook until butter and sugar are melted and mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and beat until smooth and slightly cool. Drizzle or brush on top of scones and let glaze get hazy and hardened.

1 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

hmm pity i don t find blueberries here. These look ideal for breakfast ahhhhhhh

Related Posts with Thumbnails