Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles

Oh.... my.... goodness. Breakfast was AMAZING!!!! I made Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles from Baking and Books. I think I must've said (to Anya... a 3 year old) about 5 times during breakfast how wonderful it was. Of course, she agreed, but who knows if it was because of the waffles or the whipped cream!

If you like lemon-poppy seed muffins, you'll love these waffles. They were really quick to throw together. Plus, since they have wheat germ in them, that makes me feel a little better about the whipped cream. HA HA HA! :)

I had heavy cream in the house but really didn't feel like whipping anything this morning. So, I pulled out a container of fat free Cool Whip and mixed in some vanilla extract and maple syrup. It was phenomenal! I can't even imagine how good it would be with the real stuff!

I will make these waffles again and again and again! Heck, I'd make them again for dinner if it was okay to serve them to my child twice in one day!

Enjoy!

Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles with Maple Whipped Cream


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons wheat germ
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whole or 2% milk
6 tablespoons melted butter (reserve 1 tbs to brush on waffle iron)
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons poppy seeds

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Mix eggs and milk; pour into dry ingredients. Add in melted butter. Stir just to combine. Cook in heated waffle iron. Serve with Maple Whipped Cream or syrup.

Maple Whipped Cream

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

Put all ingredients in bowl. Whip until soft peaks form.

3 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! you certainly cook a lot ! I wish I lived near you ! these waffle look wonderful !

Megan said...

Yum, I love lemon poppyseed! But that maple whip cream (Coolwhip) sounds so decadent. I'll have to try it one day!

Lori said...

These look absolutely amazing. My kind of waffle. And based on your review they will be appearing in my kitchen soon. Oh yeah, like this weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails