Saturday, September 6, 2008

Blackberry Breakfast Cake


I am about to write off all breakfast cakes. Two weeks in a row I have been less than satisfied. This week was better than last, but it still didn't knock my socks off. I have a Cream Cheese Coffeecake and a traditional crumb cake still to try, so I will wait before I give up all hope!

I found the recipe at A Southern Grace. By all means, this is not a bad recipe. I really enjoyed the cake part, but as soon as I got a bite with the blackberries, it wasn't as good. I found it odd considering I love blackberries. Hmmm.... not sure why I didn't like them here.

Also, I didn't toss my berries in with the dry ingredients and they all sank to the bottom. Another case of my hands working faster than my brain!

I am still posting the recipe as it was good... maybe I'll try it at another time with a different berry.

Blackberry Breakfast Cake

Cake:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup quick oats
2 cups fresh blackberries
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Topping:
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup quick oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or coat with cooking spray an 8x8-inch pan.In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.In a separate large bowl, combine the sugar and eggs. Stir in the vanilla, buttermilk, and oil. Add in the dry ingredients, including the oats, and stir just until incorporated. Coat the blackberries and nuts in a bit of flour and then fold in until well blended.Pour the batter into the pan and gently shake it to even it out. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and oats evenly over the top of the cake.Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted deep into the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before unmolding onto the rack to cool at room temperature.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails