Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sugar Cookies

Is it really December??? I can't believe the year is almost over! It has gone by relatively quickly and I am hoping that December passes just as quickly!

This month I thought it would be fun for you to get to know me, so every day I will be posting something interesting (or not so interesting!) about myself. I would love to get to know all of you, too, so feel free to tell me something about yourself in your comments! :)

Today I'll start off pretty boring... you know, the basics! I was born on September 15, 1982 in Tucson, Arizona. We didn't stay in Tucson long, at least I don't think we did. We moved to Phoenix and stayed there (or in the surrounding area) until I got married. I absolutely LOVE Arizona. I know it sounds crazy, but I really don't mind the crazy heat. Of course we have AC, so staying inside was always an option. But, I love tank tops, shorts, and flip-flops, so the sun is good for me! I really miss living in Arizona and Nathan and I plan on moving back there once he retires from the Army.

Now, on to cookies! It's December and I'm sure my blog won't be the only one out there with a ton of cookie recipes. What are the holiday's without yummy treats???

I am not one to toot my own horn or claim the best of anything, but these sugar cookies really are FANTASTIC! I wish I had a better picture of them (this one was from last year) so you could really see how great they are. They are soft and big and flavorful. The almond extract makes them fantastic! You could eat them plain or decorate them. I have used buttercream, marshmallow fondant, and royal icing on these. All are great! I really hope you'll give these cookies a try. I promise that you won't be disappointed!

If you are looking for awesome cookie cutters, I get mine from Copper Gifts. They have such an amazing selection and you can even have them do custom cutters!



Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups flour

Cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth. Add extracts and egg yolk. Gradually stir in flour and salt until combined. Shape dough into disc and wrap in plastic wrap; chill 8 hours or overnight.

Roll out dough and cut into shapes. (You can freeze the cut outs at this point to help prevent spreading.)

Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes, just until the edges are lightly toasted.

Cool before decorating.

8 comments:

Shelby said...

Sugar cookies always remind me of Nanny - especially when they are soft and frosted!

Susan said...

These cookies are so beautiful- I have never been good at sugar cookies- mine are always too thin or too thick.
I have to try again!
I will try your recipe.

It was great getting to know you...your cuddly bundle is precious!
I'm so happy your husband will be home soon.
My son is in the Navy and he is here for Thanksgiving...he returns on the 6th to Japan.
We crammed all our holidays into a few days! Its been great!
God Bless you and keep on posting those cookies:)

Maria said...

Your cookies are so cute and perfect for this month!

The McBride Family said...

I say toot away b/c these ARE the best sugar cookies EVAH!!!!! I'm very much looking forward to these ones! :)

Brad and Erica said...

I like this idea of posting something about yourself every time. It will make me feel like I am a little bit closer when I am far away. In return, I'll tell you something about me.... let's see.... I need to make it something interesting.... when I was little my family used to call me "scare hair" or "scare-ica" because I have super fine hair that would just stick up crazy all over. Now Annika has my hair and if I don't put baby oil in it just stands straight up and out all over her head. So, there's one semi-interesting thing about me. I'll think of some better things for your future posts.

P.S. Those are some of the prettiest decorated sugar cookies I have ever seen!

Megan said...

Ok, now I really feel OLD next to you - lets just say that I was in 8th grade around the time you were born!

The cookies are so pretty! You did such a great job decorating them. I am very impressed!

betty geek said...

I'm back from Costa Rica! Whoo hoo! Thanks for sharing the sugar cookie recipe. I will make some for my brunch party next Sunday. Sprinkle me some of that sugar lovin! I can't believe it's almost xmas. btw, I am going to Tucson to visit my in-laws during xmas week. Imagine that! :D

betty geek said...

Oh! So this is the ONE! I already know these are better than Dorie's, just by looking at them! HAHA! I just posted my sugar cookie results using Dorie's. I want soft and buttery, not crisp. But that is just me . . . thanks for sharing again, sweetie pie!

Related Posts with Thumbnails