Friday, November 7, 2008

Apple Dumplings

A couple things before we get to the apple dumplings....

First, I want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my mom! I know she reads this (or at least she says she does - just kidding, Mom!) so Mom, I hope you have a wonderful day! I love and miss you so much! Can't wait to see you in February! HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Also, I want to apologize for the lack of variety lately. Anya has had a fever (between 101-103) since Tuesday and she has had no appetite. Since it is just me eating I have been making quick meals for myself and she has been living off of fruit and rice cakes. I have been digging into my draft folder for posts this week and I always have an excess of desserts and baked goods, so that is what you have been seeing. Once Anya starts feeling better (HOPEFULLY SOON!!!) you will begin seeing more variety in the posts. But, until then, I hope you are enjoying the sugar high!




I made these apple dumplings a few weeks back and there is actually a funny story attached to them. I made two desserts on the same day - these and the pumpkin whoopie pies for October's cookie carnival. I was heading over to a friends house to scrapbook that day and was going to bring the whoopie pies. I was also having company over for dinner that night and was going to serve the apple dumplings for dessert. Well, I put them in identical containers and accidentally brought the dumplings to the scrapbooking thing. OOPS! No worries, though. We baked them up and enjoyed them immensely!

These are so quick and easy to make. I assembled them the night before and left them in the fridge until it was time to bake them. They tasted amazing!!!!

Apple Dumplings
Recipe from Food Channel

1 pound prepared pie dough
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup raisins, brandy-soaked
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
8 apples, firm but ripe

FOR GLAZE:
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons water

Roll out pastry to a thickness of no more than 1/8 inch. Using a sharp paring knife, cut into 8 squares. Then cut each square into a triangle. Cut as many leaf shapes as possible from the pastry scraps, and use the back of a knife to make the vein markings. Keep the pastry chilled on parchment-lined or water-sprayed baking sheets until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Mix the sugar, cinnamon, raisins and walnuts in a small bowl. Set aside.

Peel the apple. Core each piece of fruit and fill each fruit with some of the sugar-cinnamon mixture and dot with butter.

Invert each apple onto the center of a triangle of pastry. Bring the edges of the pastry together, moisten them with water and pinch or press to seal. Garnish with dumplings as desired by pasting the leaves on with water. Place the fruits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill until ready to bake.

Lightly brush each dumpling with glaze and bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is puffed and nicely browned.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Don't apologize Christine! I know I love everything you put up here and it amazes me how you do it all with little ones at home! I bet your dumpling was yummy!

Happy Birthday to your mom! :)

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yum! I have never made apple dumplings before....but it looks like I will have to soon!

Hannah

The Mortensens said...

This looks delicious! Hope Anya starts feeling better soon!

Wservir said...

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Octávio
www.petitchef.com

Wservir said...

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Octávio
www.petitchef.com

Lori said...

That apple dumpling looks so good. Very pretty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails