Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones


In honor of my love for all things lemon poppy seed and my love for scones, here is a recipe for DELICOUS Lemon Poppy Seed Scones!

Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
Recipe from Eat Real


2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 TBSP lemon zest
2 TBSP poppy seeds
1 1/4 cups heavy cream or whipping cream
1 tsp lemon extract

For top:
Egg wash
2 TBSP sugar
1 tsp lemon zest


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds in a mixing bowl. Mix cream and lemon extract; pour over dry ingredients. Mix just until dough clings together.

Flour hands and fold - don't knead - dough over a few turns until combined.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll into a 1-inch-thick round (about 8 inches in diameter). Cut into 8 or 10 wedges or use a circular biscuit cutter to cut into rounds.
Place scones on baking sheet, spacing them about an inch apart.

Brush scones with egg wash. Mix sugar and lemon zest; sprinkle on top of scones. Bake for about 15 minutes, until tops and bottoms are golden.

6 comments:

Jin Hooi said...

I love lemon and poppy seeds too , should give this recipe a try !! Thanks for sharing

Shelby said...

These look great Christine. Have you made the lemon poppyseed muffins from Dorie's cookbook yet? I made them before I joined TWD - not sure if the group has made them or not. BUT they are one of my favorite muffins! This scone reminds me of them!

Emily Rose said...

I am going to make a basket of scones and some fresh lemon curd for all of my extended family for Christmas this year- I am going to start trying out all of your scone recipes to decide which one to use- your scones always turn out beautifully!

Anonymous said...

I've never had a lemon scone, just a muffin and cupcakes :), but this is a tasty idea. I love how the lemon zest looks on the top of the scone!

Maria said...

I love scones!! Lemon is my favorite too!! The brownies below look heavenly. Dorie is the best!

Anonymous said...

I've never had a scone I didn't like! I'll have to try these.

Related Posts with Thumbnails