Sunday, November 30, 2008

Apple Butter

I woke up to two beautiful things this morning (well, besides my beautiful children!). A gorgeous, quiet German Sunday morning and delicious homemade apple butter!


I love the early morning here. It is so quiet and peaceful. This morning I opened my windows and just listened to the birds singing their sweet songs. It is mornings like this that will make me miss this wonderful place that I have called home for the last 6 years. Yes, I know that birds still sing in the states, but there is something about this place that has imprinted on my being and I am trying to soak up every last bit of Germany I can before we leave next year.


I had the perfect pairing for this beautiful morning with homemade apple butter. I know that there are many ways to make apple butter, but this is so easy and easy is good! I cut up the apples after dinner, throw them in the crock-pot, and wake up in the morning to the wonderful smell of apple butter. Mmmmm....


You go to bed with this...

And wake up to this!

Hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday morning, too!

Apple Butter

5 1/2 lbs apples (I use Gala), peeled and finely chopped

2-4 cups sugar (depends on how sweet you want it; I use about 3)

2-3 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/4 tsp salt

Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix apples in and toss well. Place in greased crockpot.

Cook on high for 1 hour, then reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown. Uncover and cook 1 hour more.

(Note: When I wake up in the morning, I whisk the apple butter for a few minutes to break up the big chunks and help it along a bit!)

10 comments:

The McBride Family said...

Well I woke up to your post and it made me so sad and happy at the same time!! Sad we're leaving, happy we've enjoyed our time here and shared it with you guys! Oh and hello yummy apple butter!

Anonymous said...

I will definetly miss Germany when we have to go. But atleast I will be ble to take the one thing with me that made in truly memorable. "YOU" I love you talk to you soon.

Shelby said...

Oh Cristine, what a sweet husband you have!

I have made apple butter in the crockpot also and LOVE it!

Megan said...

What an interesting concept - I've never had apple butter, and to make it in the crockpot! That's just an added bonus!

sarah said...

beautiful post, cristine... beautiful!

Maris said...

I love apple butter! This sounds great. And your pictures of the snow are so beautiful that I almost wish it would snow here. Well, maybe not quite :)

teresa said...

Hi Cristine! I just discovered your blog through Priscilla and I love it! You have some great recipes on here (apple butter, yum!) It will be fun keeping up with your recipes!

Unknown said...

I think I am going to use this as a present. I will make a basket out of the ingredients and attach the recipe. Thanks for this great recipe. I never thought to make my own apple butter.

The Mortensens said...

Oh Christine, you have posted so many yummy recipes that I want to try--including this one! I love apple butter and never dreamed of making it myself!

And it looks like Nathan is coming home soon too! How great that he'll be home around the holidays!

Hayley said...

Cristine as I type this I have started cooking this, I will let you know tomorrow how it turned out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails