Monday, November 3, 2008

TWD: Rugelach


If there is an award for ugliest rugelach, let me know because I think I have a shot at winning! Don't get me wrong, these tasted so good, but looks are another story. Maybe I just didn't take the time to roll them properly. Hey... I have two little ones and kitchen time is sometimes rushed. Maybe I should start making my baked goods during nap or after they go to bed, but for the most part I don't. My three year old loves helping in the kitchen and I hate to deprive her of that opportunity. So here is the result of being rushed... not so great looking rugelach!

I did really enjoy these, though. And seriously, I ENJOYED them! I didn't even share with friends. That's right. I was totally greedy with these! But no worries to my friends who are reading... I will make these again and maybe they will even be pretty!

I made 3 different fillings; craisin & white chocolate, poppy seed & sugar, and the filling Dorie suggested (jam, nuts, chocolate). The craisin ones were my favorite and they were the first to go. I really enjoyed the poppy seed ones as well. The jam ones... well... not my favorite. Maybe it was the combination of jam and chocolate. It kinda threw me off a bit.

Thanks to Piggy of Piggy's Cooking Journal for picking a wonderful recipe! Head over to her blog for the recipe and, as always, check out the blogroll! I'm sure there are wonderful filling ideas out there!

25 comments:

Jules Someone said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them. Did you use the egg wash? That really helps to make them pretty.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I totally agree about jam + chocolate. I'm not a raspberry/chocolate flavor favor-er, for example, either. Anyway, this recipe is so versatile that you can put in just what you want. I'm glad they were a hit, and when you have the egg wash and sugar on the outside they will win "best in show"!
Nancy

The McBride Family said...

Hey wait a minute I didn't even know you MADE these!!! :) HA HA!! They look yummy!!!

Shelby said...

I love your different fillings!

Engineer Baker said...

Poppy seeds? Too neat! And I agree with jules - the egg wash definitely makes them prettier. And rolling them up like pinwheels is a lot easier and leads to neater rugelach.

Cathy said...

Well, these went so fast in my house that it really didn't matter what they looked like! I'm glad that these were a hit in your house! The craisins and white chocolate sound fantastic!

CB said...

Trust me. Yours are not the ugliest. Mine were pretty fugly. HAHA. Your craisin white chocolate version sounds amazing! I should have done that one! Glad you enjoyed the recipe.
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Piggy said...

Thanks for baking with me! the poppy seeds version sounds good!

Pamela said...

Mmmm...craisins with white chocolate?!? I am going to give that one a try. Those would be perfect for the holidays! :o)

Jamie said...

Glad you enjoyed them! They sound perfect!

Flourchild said...

They are not ugly..hey if they taste good who cares anyways! I had a blast with these cookies!

Maria said...

I can't wait to make these and I bet I will eat them all by myself:)

Emily Rose said...

it's wonderful that your daughter likes to help in the kitchen- I cannot wait until my little girl is old enough to bake with me! I love the idea of craisin and white chocolate!! What an amazing combo!

Beth said...

Mmmmm...love the poppy seeds! I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com

TeaLady said...

They keep telling me, looks don't count. They are not ugly. And it is the taste that counts. And they look like they taste great.

Anonymous said...

I've got to do a Dorie Rewind for these!

Megan said...

It's so great that your 3 year old helped - and besides, looks aren't everything, right?

betty geek said...

Why are you trying to show off with 3 different fillings?! ;) Your rugelaches are cute. I am hoping you saved me one of those craisin and white choco. Wait, did you eat them all? Boo!

Anonymous said...

To paraphrase Julia, pretty pictures just prove that someone else had their hands all over your food! They look tasty anyway!

BAKE-EN said...

I loved these cookies too! I made four different flavors and I HAD to try each of them once they cooled. So good!

Libby said...

I know what you mean... I bet they tasted amazing... i know mine did!

Anonymous said...

I used apple jelly and chocolate, and that worked really well, but I'm not a big fruit/chocolate fan either. And remember, it doesn't matter how they look; they taste great!

Unknown said...

Awesome job with the different fillings!! Great job!

Jin Hooi said...

I love the craisin & white chocolate filling , sounds so yummy !! I gonna give this a try !!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

The main thing is that they tasted delicious. It's sweet that you have a little "sous chef" who likes to help you in the kitchen.

Related Posts with Thumbnails