Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Past Daring Baker Challenge: Cheesecake Pops

Looks like it's time for another past challenge. I am trying to finish all of them and this month I think I will be able to complete 3 of the past challenges, so that is great!

Chocolate covered cheesecake is not something I am unfamiliar with. I make chocolate covered cheesecake bites a couple times a year. My friend, Monica, brought them up the other day and I realized that it has been a while since I have made them. Then it hit me that Cheesecake Pops were a past challenge and I asked her if she minded if I tried a new recipe just so I could cross it off my list.

The recipe comes from Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey. It just so happens that my friend, Kristl, sent me that book for my birthday. (On a side note... great book... buy it!) I really enjoyed this recipe. The cheesecake was so delicious. Definately one of the better cheesecakes I have tasted. But, I did miss my cheesecake bites. I use a graham cracker crust on them, so each bite is like a little piece of cheesecake. I also have orange zest in my cheesecake and I found myself missing that flavor.

Nonetheless, this was an awesome recipe and they looked so adorable! I only wish I had cuter sticks for them!
Cheesecake Pops

Makes 30 – 40 Pops

5 8-oz packages cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup heavy cream
Boiling water as needed

Thirty to forty 8-inch lollipop sticks

Chocolate (any kind) for dipping

Assorted decorations such as chopped nuts, colored jimmies, crushed peppermints, mini chocolate chips, sanding sugars, dragees - Optional

Position oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Set some water to boil.

In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, flour, and salt until smooth. If using a mixer, mix on low speed. Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well (but still at low speed) after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and cream.

Grease a 10-inch cake pan (not a springform pan), and pour the batter into the cake pan. Place the pan in a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with the boiling water until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cake pan. Bake until the cheesecake is firm and slightly golden on top, 35 to 45 minutes.

Remove the cheesecake from the water bath and cool to room temperature. Cover the cheesecake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 3 hours or up to overnight.

When the cheesecake is cold and very firm, scoop the cheesecake into 2-ounce balls and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Carefully insert a lollipop stick into each cheesecake ball.
Freeze the cheesecake pops, uncovered, until very hard, at least 1 – 2 hours.

When the cheesecake pops are frozen and ready for dipping, prepare the chocolate. In the top of a double boiler, set over simmering water, or in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, heat half the chocolate and half the shortening, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and chocolate and shortening are combined. Stir until completely smooth. Do not heat the chocolate too much or your chocolate will lose it’s shine after it has dried. Save the rest of the chocolate and shortening for later dipping, or use another type of chocolate for variety.

Alternately, you can microwave the same amount of chocolate coating pieces on high at 30 second intervals, stirring until smooth.Quickly dip a frozen cheesecake pop in the melted chocolate, swirling quickly to coat it completely. Shake off any excess into the melted chocolate. If you like, you can now roll the pops quickly in optional decorations. You can also drizzle them with a contrasting color of melted chocolate (dark chocolate drizzled over milk chocolate or white chocolate over dark chocolate, etc.)

Place the pop on a clean parchment paper-lined baking sheet to set. Repeat with remaining pops, melting more chocolate and shortening (or confectionary chocolate pieces) as needed.

Refrigerate the pops for up to 24 hours, until ready to serve.



8 comments:

Hayley said...

I can almost taste these, they look so delicious.

Shelby said...

Great job Cristine! I didn't have the greatest luck with these when I did them myself! Yours look great!

Cari said...

Those look AMAZING!

The Mortensens said...

I love how those look! I love mini desserts too. I'll have to try them sometime.

Megan said...

I think those would be great for a party - like for Christmas. But I think having a crust in there would be even better!!

Plan on sharing the recipe anytime soon?

Cristine said...

Megan,

Thanks for your interest! I will be posting the recipe soon. :)

The McBride Family said...

Yum I'm looking forward to tomorrow!!!! :)

Megan said...

These look great. This was one of the funner challenges in my opinion.

Related Posts with Thumbnails