Monday, November 24, 2008

Pumpkin Roll (No TWD)

For the first time in 4 months I am skipping TWD. I have nothing against the recipe chosen for this week (Twofer Pie - pumpkin on the bottom, pecan on the top). I was actually looking forward to trying it. But, Thanksgiving isn't happening in November for me, so I would be eating the pie by myself! (For the recipe, check out Vibi's blog - La Casserole Carree.)


I will try this pie in December, though. Nathan LOVES Thanksgiving. I mean, LOVES LOVES LOVES it. We do Thanksgiving twice a year because of his love for the holiday. (Well... his love for the food!) Our second Thanksgiving is a tradition we started a few years back - Father's Day Thanksgiving. I wanted to give Nathan a traditional Thanksgiving, so we will be doing it in December when he comes home.


Today I will be posting my final pumpkin recipe. Okay, okay... you can stop cheering now! :) I am not done making pumpkin dishes (Megan of My Baking Adventures just posted a pumpkin creme brulee that I cannot resist!), but this will be it as far as posting goes. It's time to move on to Christmas-y dishes. Mmmmm... I see lots of cookies in my future!


I love this pumpkin roll. It is so good. One year I had a friend ask for it for Christmas. Not weird, right? Well, he didn't want me to bring it for dessert; he actually wanted it for his gift! So, I wrapped it up and brought it over. He was one happy guy! And this is the recipe to make if you want to make my brother in law, Sam, happy. Whenever I am in Arizona and I make this, I have to make two because one is strictly for Sam!


I hope you'll give this a try. It makes a great addition to the Thanksgiving dessert table!



Pumpkin Roll



3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 cup chopped pecans

Filling:

8 oz cream cheese
4 TBSP butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually mix in pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and ginger; stir into pumpkin mixture.

Spread batter into 10x15 greased jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until center springs back when touched.

Turn cake out onto dish towel that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Roll up and cool for 20 minutes.

Beat filling ingredients until smooth. Unroll cake and spread filling on it. Roll up and place on wax paper that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Twist ends of wax paper and refrigerate overnight.

15 comments:

betty geek said...

I would pick this pumpkin roll over that Twofer pie anyday! Looks spongy and delicious. Save me a piece and Happy Thanksgiving, darling! xoxo!

Maria said...

I love pumpkin rolls! I usually make a bunch and put them in the freezer! You never know when you will need a treat or gift:)
Yours looks great!

Megan said...

Yes, that beats a pumpkin pecan pie any day. Now you've got me worried - did I give up pumpkin recipes too soon? Should I make more? Gaahhh!!!

Anonymous said...

The pumpkin rolls look great!
Definitely try the twofer. It was a big hit.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!You are the best when it comes to pumpkin roll no store compares, not even close! Love Ya.

Megan said...

I love pumpkin rolls! Last year my friend (a non foodie) asked me to teach her to make them. We made 5 of them and froze them. Always a big hit!!!
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Unknown said...

Those pumpkin rolls look so good! I can hardly wait to you can celebrate the holidays with your man. We wish him well.

Cheeky Kitchen said...

Looks wonderful! It must be a good day to cook with pumpkin. Then again, can you ever get too much pumpkin?!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today & leaving a comment! So nice of you!

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

I love Pumpkin Roll! Your cake looks light and pretty. Bet it tasted good.

Pamela said...

It looks so good! I would love to try one of these roll cakes, but honestly, I am VERY intimidated. Someday, though...someday!

priscilla joy said...

hi cristine, check my blog...you have a couple awards. :)

Shelby said...

I didn't make the twofer pie. I was really considering it but then we ended up with a family emergency and I haven't been home (which is why I haven't been here to comment).

Everyone here LOVES pumpkin roll! I'm considering making it for our department Christmas party!

Unknown said...

My wife makes this every year for thanksgiving. I can't wait. And thank you very much for your service to our country.

http://househubbie.blogspot.com

Lori said...

I tried making this roll one year and it cracked. I just love them. I will have to try again.

Like Bill, I would like to say thank you to you and your family for the sacrifices you make for our country. I think of the troops often and say thank you in my head.

Princess of Power said...

The pumpkin roll looks fantastic! I can't wait to try to make it myself!

Related Posts with Thumbnails