Friday, November 14, 2008

Cookie Carnival: Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies


It's Cookie Carnival time! I'm trying to get all of my "must make" recipes out of the way early this month. I am ahead on TWD and I completed my Daring Baker challenge. I thought I would get these made, too, and then I won't have much left to do. I realize that made it sound like it is a chore for me to do these things. It really isn't! It's just at the beginning of each month I make a list of things I need to make and this month this list had 10 recipes (not including day to day cooking), one of which is going to take the better part of a few days to complete. So, I wanted to get things completed as early as possible, especially with Thanksgiving right around the corner!

The cookie selection for November was The Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Regan Daley's book "In The Sweet Kitchen". One of my favorite things about chocolate chip cookies is that there are so many recipes out there to try and you know that, for the most part, the cookies will be delicious. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't love a chocolate chip cookie?!?!

That being said, it is also hard to find that "ultimate" cookie because everyone is looking for something different in a chocolate chip cookie. I love soft and chewy cookies, so I was looking forward to trying this recipe.

Were these cookies good? Absolutely! Were they the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had? Probably not. I was able to resist the urge to eat the whole batch, and while I shouldn't eat the whole batch, I've had chocolate chip cookies before that I had to remove the temptation from my sight to prevent myself from eating the whole batch!

Don't feel sad for me, though! Even those these weren't the ultimate in my book, they were still delicious and I did enjoy a couple. I sent the rest down to Iraq and am hoping that someone there is enjoying them! Plus, I now have another cookbook on my list to order... and that is ALWAYS a good thing!

The Ultimate Chewy and Soft Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsps. pure vanilla extract
3 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
16 oz. flavorful bitter or semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly butter them, and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or a large bowl if mixing by hand, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.

2. Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks.

3. Using your hands, shape knobs of dough about the size of a large walnut and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Stagger the rows of cookies to ensure even baking. Bake 12-15 for smaller cookies, 14-17 for larger ones or until the tops are a light golden brown. If the cookies are neither firm nor dark when they are removed from the oven, they will cool chewy and soft.

4. Cool the cookies on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. If somehow they don't get inhaled immediately, they may be stored airtight at room temperature for up to one week.

8 comments:

Megan said...

You sound like me, with the to-do baking list. It's always so much fun!

I actually didn't try these, I made them dairy free for a friend but am looking forward to making them with regular butter.

I'm on the thick/chewy side, also!

Shelby said...

Cristine I thoroughly enjoy reading every one of your posts. Your sweet personality shines right through!

Maria said...

I love chocolate chip cookies too! Trying new recipes is always so fun. These look great!

Bunny said...

I like the way these look , so nice and thick, I'm going to try these.

Jin Hooi said...

same here, i love to complete my to do baking list too .. great fun huh ;-) your cookies look great , well done !!

Snooky doodle said...

I made these cookies too. I have to say they were pretty good but not the best I ve ever had either :)

Pamela said...

Hey! Great job on these. I did like the way they turned out. I liked how thick and soft and chewy they were. And you're right...what's not to like about a CC cookie?!?

betty geek said...

HAHA! My co workers INHALED these cookies and thought they were excellent. To each his own since I did not care for this recipe. I will miss reading your blog, it's like reading a good friend's journal. Keep me posted while I am in Costa Rica! I will miss you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails