Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cookie Carnival: Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies


It's cookie carnival time again! This month's selection was Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. I was stoked about this recipe because I LOVE chocolate and I LOVE pumpkin! I was really excited to put the two together.


These cookies were amazing! I loved everything about them! The cookie itself was very more like a cake, but who doesn't like cake? I made some mini's, but most were huge monster whoopie pies. I also added some orange icing gel to the filling to brighten it up. It makes for a very Halloween-y looking cookie!


There was one problem with the recipe, though. The filling was way too runny. I added extra powdered sugar to try and thicken it up and it didn't help at all. So, I piped in the filling and refrigerated the cookies. That helped a little and the filling didn't run out completely.


Overall I was 100% satisfied with this recipe. I will be making it again and I look forward to playing around with the filling. So many different ways this can be made. Mmmmm... the wheels are turning!


Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Makes about 20


FOR THE COOKIES
* 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch-process)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
* 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


FOR THE FILLING
* 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
* Pinch of cinnamon
* Pinch of nutmeg


DIRECTIONS

1. Prepare cookies: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.

2. Place butter, shortening, and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on high speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add egg; mix until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in half the flour mixture, then the milk and vanilla. Mix in remaining flour mixture.

3. Drop about 2 teaspoons dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks and let cool 10 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheets and transfer to wire racks using a spatula; let cool completely.

4. Prepare filling: In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together cream cheese, butter and confectioners' sugar on medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg; whip until smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary.

5. Pipe or spoon about 2 teaspoons filling on the flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping the flat sides down.

10 comments:

priscilla joy said...

ooh, those look soo yummy!!

Amanda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and welcoming me to Cookie Carnival! Your filling color is gorgeous! My was pretty light in color. Love the background of your blgo too :)

Megan said...

I agree - the filling was very runny, but so tasty!! I've thought about a few different filling ideas, because really - what doesn't go with chocolate?

Anonymous said...

Yours turned out gorgeous! My filling was runny too, but sure was tasty!

Arika
My Yummy Life

Adventures in Gluttony said...

Oh yum! Whoopie pies are a stable here. I buy one for the Amish man ever chance I get! Though, I probably should try making my own. These look heavenly!

Kirstynn Evans said...

Good job in these! I also had runny filling the first time. Then I made sure the cooikies were 110% cool, and chilled the filling a little, then they were great. I should have added orange coloring to make it more halloween-y! Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I would have liked a thicker filling as well. I even made sure to use the regular cream cheese and not the neufchatel I usually use. It still tasted good though. Your whoopies look great. :-)

Anonymous said...

im glad you enjoyed then so much! they look great!

Stacey said...

I love that picture! Looks great!

Pamela said...

They looked great, Cristine! Nice job on the filling.

Related Posts with Thumbnails