Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Waffles

I have 2 pumpkins worth of puree in my freezer so I will be making A LOT of pumpkin recipes over the next month. I'm pretty excited, though, because I love pumpkin and all things pumpkin. Actually, I usually just have sweet pumpkin things. The other night I had my first savory pumpkin dish - pumpkin soup. It was so delicious! So, I will be making it soon and I will post pics and the recipe (um.... Monica... can I get the recipe???).

Wow... kinda got off topic there! I am a big breakfast girl and love waffles. These pumpkin waffles were absolutely delicious and I added some nuts on top for some crunch. A perfect fall (or winter with the weather we've been having!) breakfast!

Pumpkin Waffles
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted

Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron or cooking spray

Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron.

Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices.

Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until smooth.

In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks (as in, far soften than the over-beaten whites you’ll see in my picture above). Folk them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.

Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter (about 2 cups for four 4-inch Belgian waffles) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

Great looking waffles Christine. I haven't eaten yet and I wish these would magically appear in front of me this morning. :)

Pamela said...

Oh, YUM! They look wonderful and the nuts really make it more scrumptious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails