Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cheese of the Month

Oh, that's right. I have joined another group. Are you surprised? Probably not because I am crazy and am always looking for more. I actually have a few other groups bookmarked that I want to join but I am waiting for some more time to dedicate to them. Although time remains elusive with two little ones!

Anyway... getting back on track. Cheese of the Month was started by (OH MY GOODNESS... I just realized I don't know her real name. :( OOPS!) Adventures in Gluttony. Every month a cheese is chosen and we can make any dish we want (or any number of dishes) with that cheese. I love cheese and love trying new cheeses so this is definately a group that I wanted to join!

October was Cheddar. I was excited about this choice because not only do I love cheddar but I knew that there would be a lot of options!

I have always been intrigued by apple pie recipes that use cheddar. It seemed very odd to me and, well, a little disgusting. But in the spirit of trying something new I decided to make a Cheddar Apple Pie!

Of course choosing what I wanted to make was just the beginning. There are many cheddar apple pie recipes out there. There are the recipes that just call for a cheddar crust and those that actually mix in cheese with the apples. I opted for the cheddar in with the apples in order to get the full effect.

I gotta tell you, seeing the cheese cubes with my lovely apples was a little nerve racking. I thought for sure I was going to have a dessert that would just bomb. But, I threw it in the oven and hoped for the best.


The pie smelled incredible while baking and I started thinking that maybe, just maybe, this would turn out good.
Well, whaddya know? It was A-MAZ-ING! These cheddar apple pie people are on to something! I thought it would tasty cheesy but it didn't. Even the bites that had big pieces of cheese still didn't taste cheesy. It just enhanced the pie. It was soooo good! One note... eat the pie warm like the recipe says. It isn't bad cold but it is MUCH better warm.

I told my husband about the pie today on the phone and he is VERY skeptical. I think a cheddar apple pie might be in order when he comes home on R&R.

Check out Adventures in Gluttony at the end of the month for the round up to see what others came up with. Also, join in the fun and vote for next month's cheese!

Apple Cheddar Pie
Recipe from Emeril Lagasse (BAM! HEE HEE!)


2 pie crusts
3 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
3 medium Granny Smith apples (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
Pinch salt
1 cup 1/2-inch cubes medium cheddar cheese (4 1/2 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 375° F.Remove the dough from the refrigerator and divide into two portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one-half of the crust to a 12-inch circle and transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, pressing gently to fit. Roll out the second half of the crust to a circle and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and toss to coat the apples. Add the cheese and spoon the apple mixture into the prepared pie pan.

Arrange the second crust over the fruit. Trim the edges to a 3/4-inch overhang, fold under the two crusts, and crimp the edges of the crusts together to seal the dough. With a sharp knife, cut a decorative pattern of slits into the top crust. With a pastry brush, brush the cream over the top crust and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the top.

Bake until the crust is golden and the juices begin to bubble, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 to 2 hours before serving. Serve warm.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Cheddar Apple Pie - oh my! :) I've seen recipes for Apple Pie with Cheddar Cheese Piecrust also! My family always eats their Apple Pie with a slice of cheese - this is even better!

I left you an award on my blog today :)

The Mortensens said...

I have NEVER heard of cheddar with apple pie. Now I'm curious. Maybe I'll try it!

Adventures in Gluttony said...

You know, its funny because I was just thinking about Cheddar Apple Pie when I got your email. I knew you would come up with something cool! You've convinced me to give it a try...I was thinking maybe Thanksgiving. Who would have thought that cheese and apples would taste so good, right?

Great job on this one! Thanks for participating. I can't wait to see what you come up with for next month's cheese!

Oh and BTW, my name's Brittney. Sorry, I forgot to mention that on my blog! Ever since I had the baby, I've lost my mind. ;-)

Adventures in Gluttony said...

You know, its funny because I was just thinking about Cheddar Apple Pie when I got your email. I knew you would come up with something cool! You've convinced me to give it a try...I was thinking maybe Thanksgiving. Who would have thought that cheese and apples would taste so good, right?

Great job on this one! Thanks for participating. I can't wait to see what you come up with for next month's cheese!

Oh and BTW, my name's Brittney. Sorry, I forgot to mention that on my blog! Ever since I had the baby, I've lost my mind. ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails