Friday, December 5, 2008

Lemon Greek Chicken

The question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" is so interesting to me. I'm sure that there are many people who actually end up being what they grew up wanting to be, but not me.

I broke my leg in second grade and ever since then I wanted to go into the medical field. I had planned on going into sports medicine. I even interned with a professional basketball trainer for a season. It was a ton of fun! Then by my junior year of high school I decided that sports medicine wasn't going to be challenging enough. That's when my plan changed to neurosurgery. Yes, that's right... I was planning on being a brain surgeon! I figured that was probably one of the more challenging occupations in the medical field. I started out college as a double major in math and science and had no intention of not becoming a doctor.

Then Nathan came into my life. This is going to sound corny (would you expect anything less of me???) but as soon as I fell in love with this man I knew that I wanted nothing more than to be a wife and mother. People sometimes ask me if I wish I had gone to medical school and the answer is no. I don't even think about it. I know that I would not be happy working out of the home. My place is here with my kids and that is a dream come true to be able to do that!

I do plan on going to culinary school in a few years, but that is more for a hobby. I don't plan on making a career out of it. Oh, and Anya says she wants to be an astronaut. :) I am looking forward to seeing what she ends up deciding to be!

Wow! That was long! On to the food! Let's take a break (a SHORT break!) from all the sweets for an actual dinner. This meal is so delicious. The first time I made it I remember Nathan walking in the house and saying, "It is my house!". He had smelled it from outside and was hoping that it was for him! It is a one dish meal, but it is definately good enough for company! Enjoy!




Lemon Greek Chicken

2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 TBSP olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2-3 tsp dried oregano
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 medium potatoes, sliced into wedges
1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
1 medium red onion, quartered
8 oz whole button mushrooms
Chicken (you could use any kind you like; I prefer boneless, skinless thighs for this meal)


Preheat oven to 400.

In a bowl, combine lemon zest, juice, and oil. Add garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper; set aside. Place vegetables in 9x13 pan; toss with half of the lemon mixture. Place chicken on top of vegetables; brush with remaining lemon mixture.

Bake 1 hour or until chicken is no longer pink. Brush chicken with pan juices after 30 minutes.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

I was a stay at home mom too and was very satisfied while my kids were actually home. Once they grew up and out it gets harder so I'm glad you are going to culinary school because you will want something to occupy your time when they don't "need" they did. I know. Been there. Done that.

Great looking chicken!!

Chocolate Shavings said...

That chicken looks great and its always a great sign when you can smell the goodness out of the door!

priscilla joy said...

mm, that looks so good. another great story Cristine!

Millers! said...

SO yummy, I will have to try that recipe... I love your story... you are a great mom, and probably would have been a great Brain Surgeon too... you dont fail at anything you do!

Related Posts with Thumbnails