Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Festive Shortbread Bites and a Snowball Variation

I'll admit it... I'm slightly obsessed when it comes to baking. Especially around the holidays. If I see an interesting recipe, I have to try it. It doesn't matter if I have already made 17 different kinds of goodies. I have no self control. Well, at least not with the baking aspect. I don't eat all of it, but I do try every one!

My friend Monica made me realize recently that I enjoy the baking/creating aspect more than the eating. And, you know what, Monica was totally right! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating. But, I enjoy the process of making the food more. As soon as I am done with one recipe, I want to start another. Hmmm... I think I see a membership to Baker's Anonymous coming soon!!! :)

Two cookies for you today. One is a super cute shortbread. I love the flecks of red and green throughout. And I can totally see this recipe being used for any holiday. Just mix up the colors and you've got yourself a festive treat!

The other is a variation on the Snowballs I posted earlier in the month. Now, while I LOVE nuts in these, I realize that there are people who don't like nuts or can't have nuts. I think these cookies are way to good to pass up, so if you don't like/can't have nuts, try adding mini chocolate chips! SO GOOD! (I did half of the batch with leftover holiday swirl morsels, too!) You can find the recipe for the snowballs here.


Shortbread Bites
Recipe from Good Housekeeping

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon red and green nonpareils or sprinkles or 1/2 cup mini baking bits

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse flour and sugar until combined. Add butter and pulse until dough begins to come together. Place dough in medium bowl. With hand, gently knead in nonpareils or baking bits until evenly blended and dough forms a ball.

On lightly floured waxed paper, pat dough into 8" by 5" rectangle; freeze 15 minutes. Cut dough into 1/2-inch squares. Place squares, 1/2 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet.

Bake cookies 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.


Store cookies in tightly covered container at room temperature up to 1 week, or in freezer up to 3 months.

8 comments:

Shelby said...

I'll be first in line to join Baker's Anonymous!!

Maria said...

Both of these look fabulous!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

You're right those first cookies could cover any holiday with a change of sprinkles.

I wish I only liked to bake and could stop at just a taste but no, not me which is why my clothes don't fit so well!
~ingrid

bridget {bake at 350} said...

Sign me up for that Bakers' Anonymous!

Your cookies look delicious!

Bunny said...

Both these recipes look great! Maybe we should form a support group!!

Jacque said...

Those shortbread bites are adorable! They look great without having to spend a lot of time decorating them.

Cheeky Kitchen said...

Shortbread+Sprinkles=Scrumptious.

Seriously. I'm wanted to take a bath in those right now. SOOO good (and so pretty!)

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Cristine, These look SOO good!

Thank you for sharing.

xo~m.

Related Posts with Thumbnails