Saturday, December 13, 2008

Italian Sprinkle Cookies

I found this recipe at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. Shelby has such an awesome blog and as soon as I saw these cookies I knew I had to give them a go. Mine are nowhere near as pretty as Shelby's, but man were they delicious!!! Plus, Anya loved helping with the sprinkles! I think it is a requirement that 3 year olds be obsessed with sprinkles!


Italian Sprinkle Cookies
Recipe from The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch



6 eggs
5 cups all purpose flour
2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup shortening
3 teaspoons almond extract
1-1/2 teaspoon lemon extract


Glaze:

3-3/4 cups confectioner's sugar
1/2 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Colored Sprinkles


Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs on high speed until light and foamy, about 5 minutes; set aside in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, confectioners' sugar and baking powder; on low speed, gradually beat in shortening and extracts until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Gradually add beaten eggs (dough will be stiff).


Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes (tops of the cookies will not brown, but bottoms should brown slightly).


Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar, milk and extracts until smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly dip two or three at a time into glaze. Remove with a slotted spoon or tongs. Place on wire racks to drain. Immediately top with sprinkles.


Let dry for 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.


Yield: About 7 dozen.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Christine your Italian cookies came beautiful. I had to freeze mine because they were getting devoured before Christmas!

Cathy said...

OMG, OMG, OMG. My Italian grandmother made a recipe like this every year (Christmas, Easter, just 'cuz . . .) We called them "Grandma's cookies" and as she got older, we all wanted to be sure that we documented the recipe. But she didn't have a recipe -- she just eyeballed everything based on whether she was making a "6 egg" or a "12 egg" version. My parents tried to catch the ingredients before they went into the bowl one time and measure everything, but when I made it the dough was way off (it said something like "keep adding flour if it needs it" and I can never pull off something that requires that much of my own judgment!) Anyway, this looks awfully close to the kind of cookie she makes (the cookies look exactly the same, and the ingredients sound like the ones she used) so I cannot WAIT to try these and see if I can come close to making some of my grandmother's treasured cookies. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

priscilla joy said...

Mm, these look really good. Italian anything is a must try.

Megan said...

Ha - I grew up eating this kind of cookie - sprinkles are mandatory much to my fathers dismay. But they are quite delicious, definitely adding something special to a cookie tray.

Gloria Baker said...

I love these too!! are really nice and look yummy!!! Gloria

Shelby said...

Now how did I miss you posting this? Shame, shame on me! hehe. They look awesome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails