Sunday, December 14, 2008

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Just in case you thought that I have only been eating sweets lately, here is proof that I actually do eat real food! This soup was fantastic! I've had it twice in the last week and I love it! It is a perfect dinner for these cold winter nights! Enjoy!


Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Recipe from Key Ingredient


3 tbsp butter
1 large Jalapeno, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup vegetarian broth
1 cup heavy cream
3 cups broccoli (thawed to room temperature, if you are using frozen broccoli )
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese

In a medium pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the jalapeno, onions, salt, pepper and garlic and stir until soft, for about 3 minutes. Add the vegetarian stock and bring to a boil.
Add the cream, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5–7 minutes.
Add the cheese in, mix well until the cheese melts. Add the chopped chives and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add the broccoli and cook everything together for 20–25 minutes. Keep it on medium-low heat for the whole time and make sure you stir frequenty to avoid the cheese from sticking to the bottom and burning.
Remove from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls.

7 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

You can't go wrong with broccali cheese soup! Yum!

Shelby said...

I love the addition of jalapeno!! I'm making soup this week too - now I'm going to have to add this broccoli soup to the menu sometime soon!

Bunny said...

Hi Cristine! My kids love broccoli in beef and broccoli but I 've never made broccoli soup before. I really like your version though and am going to bookmark this, thanks!

The McBride Family said...

My favorite soup EVAH!!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

My children love broccoli and enjoy soup. I'm betting they'll like 'em together. I'm going to give this a try! It's going to be soup week as I just printed out a recipe for clam chowder, too. (it's crazy, we're having record highs here, FL so it's not really cold)

I'll let you know how yours goes!
~ingrid

Maria said...

I need some of this to warm me up!

Christy said...

Your soup sounds so warm and yummy! I've got two kiddos sick and home from school...this may be a great soup for our yucky start to a busy week. Thanks for the post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails