Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 1 - Recipe 1


For future reference: If you plan on giving yourself a cooking challenge, you should make sure you are heading to the grocery store before you start!!! I will not be heading to the commissary until tomorrow, so I had to work with what I had in the house. So, I decided on a banana muffin recipe. I made it for breakfast this morning and they were absolutely delicious! What a great alternative to basic banana bread. They were very moist and I will definately be making them again. Anya said they were "tasty and delicious" and that they had "good sugar on top"!

I found the recipe on AllRecipes, but I changed a few things. The original recipe called for butter in the batter, but since I am trying to avoid dairy I used vegetable oil instead. If you wanted a healthier version, you could also sub applesauce in place of the oil. I also added some vanilla to the batter (what baked good doesn't benefit from vanilla?). If you are a fan of nuts with your banana bread, throw some of those in there, too!

I made 6 large muffins and 12 mini-muffins with this recipe.

Enough rambling... here is the recipe. Oh, and keep in mind that I am not a photographer, so this blog will not have those awesome food pics that other blogs do. But, I try!

Also, if you happen to try out any of the recipes, please post a comment for me letting me know you made it, how you liked it, and any changes you made. I would love to hear from you!


Banana Crumb Muffins

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBSP AP flour
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 TBSP butter


Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease muffin tins or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Spoon batter into muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails