Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 15 - Recipe 23

Dinner tonight was surprisingly good. I wasn't looking forward to it at all but ended up going back for seconds! I originally purchased the cube steak for a "Cube Steak Parmesan" recipe I had found. But, then I cut out dairy for 3 weeks and ended up looking for another recipe to use the cube steak in. I found "Country Style Steak" on AllRecipes and it was so delicious!

When I first started cooking it I thought that the onion soup mix would overpower the dish. But, I let it simmer away and the flavor just melded perfectly. Don't let the hour cooking time scare you; there really is only about 10 minutes of actual work to do when making this dinner.


Country Style Steak


2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 pound cube steak, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup flour for coating
1 TBSP flour
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
2 cups water, or as needed
salt, pepper, and garlic salt, to taste

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat cube steak pieces with flour, and shake off the excess. Fry steak pieces in the hot oil just until browned on each side and there are some juices in the pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Stir together the onion soup mix and 1 tablespoon of flour; sprinkle into the skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat until it starts to brown. Gradually mix in the water to make a gravy. Return the cube steak to the pan, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cover, and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour.

Serve over egg noodles, potatoes, or rice.

*Note: I did not add any additional salt or garlic to the dish. I sprinkled it with some fresh ground pepper and it turned out wonderfully!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...I've had a couple lonely cube steaks sitting in my freezer. I'm gonna make this with them.

Anonymous said...

Made this for dinner tonight and it was fab!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails