Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day 27 - Recipe 47

This morning Anya asked for "yummy triangles" for breakfast. That meant that I got to try out another scone recipe! WOO HOO! I'm telling you... I am becoming addicted to scones. I have about 7 more scone recipes in my "To Try" file. Needless to say, you may be seeing a lot of scone recipes in the future!

I found a recipe for Raspberry Orange Cream Scones at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy. I didn't have raspberries, so I substituted cherry craisins. Yes, I realize I could've picked a scone recipe that I did have everything for, but I wasn't that smart! Anyway, they turned out great and were really tasty. The lemon and cranberry ones from day 19 are still my favorite, though.

As always, the recipe......

Raspberry Orange Cream Scones



Sorry the pic is so dark... Don't know what happened!

1 large egg
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh grated orange zest
1/4 tsp orange oil
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
3/4 cup dried raspberries


Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Stir the egg and cream together. Mix in the orange oil.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Quickly, working with your fingertips or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly.

Pour the egg, cream, zest and raspberries over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until the dough, which will be wet and sticky, comes together. Still in the bowl, gently knead the dough by hand, or turn it with a rubber spatula 8 to 10 times.

Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn out the dough. Divide it in half. Working with one piece at a time, pat the dough into a rough circle that's about 5 inches in diameter, cut it into 6 wedges and place it on the baking sheet. (At this point, the scones can be frozen on the baking sheet, then wrapped airtight. Don't defrost before baking- just add about 2 minutes to the baking time.)

Bake the scones for 20 to 22 minutes, or until their tops are golden and firmish. Transfer them to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving, or wait for them to cool to room temperature.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails