Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 6 - Recipe 9

Joey: Oh, Jam? I love jam! Hey, how come we never have jam at our place?
Chandler: Because the kids need new shoes!

Ah... F*R*I*E*N*D*S! If I was thinking clearly (read: if I had more sleep!), I would've put on TOW All the Jam episode. But, It was 2pm, the kids were sleeping, and I needed to make something! So, no time for TV. Maybe tomorrow while I am enjoying my jam!

I threw together this strawberry freezer jam in less than 30 minutes. It is awfully tasty, but it won't set up for 24 hours, so I can't officially taste it until tomorrow. I promise to post tomorrow how it turned out. For now, you can look at it in jars! Note: If you plan on keeping the jam in the freezer, glass probably isn't the way to go! But, I am giving these tiny jars to friends and they will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge. I'm not too sure it will last that long, though! Jam is GOOD!

Berry Freezer Jam

4 cups strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries
4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
1 (1.75 oz) package regular powdered fruit pectin
3/4 cup water

In a bowl use a potato masher to crush the berries until you have 2 cups. Mix berries, sugar, and lemon peel. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a small saucepan combine pectin and water. Bring to a boil over high heat; boil for 1 minute stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour into berry mixture.Stir for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy.

Ladle into half pint freezer containers leaving a 1/2" headspace. Seal and label. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours or until set. Store up to 3 weeks in refrigerator or up to 1 year in the freezer.

2 comments:

Millers! said...

All your stuff looks so yummy, I am going to start trying things out... especially the sausage with broccoli and rice... ok and mostly everything else too! Thanks Cristine, you dont know how much I enjoy your blog! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Your jam looks so delicious! I wish I had more time at home to bake/cook/make jam :)

Welcome to the Daring Bakers!

Related Posts with Thumbnails