Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 10 - Recipe 17

This morning I tried something new. Not just a new recipe, but a completely new food. Today I ate my very first scone. Is it weird that I have never had a scone? Are there others out there like me? I made cinnamon apple scones this morning and I thought they were very good. Granted, being my first, I have nothing to compare it to. For all I know, it could've been the worst scone in the world. Okay, not really because it tasted good! So, it can't possibly be a bad scone, right? Am I making any sense?

Anyway... I would probably make this recipe again. Like I said, it tasted great. The only reason I wouldn't make it again is because now that I have been introduced to scones I want to try different varieties. So, these will have to be pushed aside so other scones can make their way into my life.

This recipe makes 12 scones, so if you don't need that many you can freeze the uncooked dough until you need it. That way you can have fresh scones any time!


Cinnamon Apple Scones

4 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons bakingpowder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 & 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apples
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 400°. Line or lightly grease 2 baking sheets and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry lender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Alternately, use a food processor with a metal blade to cut in the butter.) Stir in cinnamon and chopped apples. Do not overwork the dough.

Add 1 & 1/4 cups of buttermilk. Mix until combined and the dough begins to stick together. Add remaining buttermilk if dough is too dry.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Roll or pat dough into two 6-inch rounds about 1 & 1/2 inches thick. Cut each round in half, then cut each half into 3 triangles. Place on baking sheets.

Mix together beaten egg and milk. Brush the tops of the triangles with egg wash. Then, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Serve immediately.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just made this recipe using some past-prime apples in my fruit bowl. They are very good! The kids and I all liked them. Scones are something I like but rarely make.

Related Posts with Thumbnails