Saturday, August 9, 2008

Day 9 - Recipes 13, 14, 15, & 16

Today went much better than yesterday. No bombs! WOO HOO!

For breakfast I made MacGyver Waffle Sandwich. I found the recipe on Breakfast Blogger. It was such a great breakfast and a nice change from the traditional breakfast sandwich. Everything is cooked on the waffle iron which really cuts back on dishes. I decided to cook my bacon in a pan, though, just so I could have it all ready sooner. I've never seen an egg cooked on a waffle iron and I have to admit, it was kinda cool! I even made Anya come in to watch. She wasn't quite as impressed as I had hoped, but a 3 year old is the only audience I have! The waffles were great, too! I froze the extras so that I can throw these together later in the week.

Dinner was also a hit! We had Pork Medallions, Citrus Green Beans, Amish White Bread, and Strawberry Lemonade. With the exception of the bread, this meal took less than 30 minutes to prepare. It was delicious, too! I am so happy when I find meals that are good for my family and take little to no effort to get on the table! I am not counting the lemonade as a recipe because unless a drink is really complex, it doesn't really require a recipe. I will, however, post the "recipe" for it.


After 9 days I have realized that I need to work on my writing skills and find more ways to describe a meal other than "delicious". I will do my best.....


YUM!
A waffled egg

The MacGyver Waffle Sandwich

Cheddar Waffles:

1 cup milk

4 eggs

1/2 cup melted butter

2 cups flour

1 TBSP baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup shredded cheddar (any cheese will work, depending on your taste)

Whisk together the liquid ingredients. Add the salt and baking powder to the flour, and then stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture. Lastly, add the cheese a quarter cup at a time, stirring lightly between each addition, so it doesn’t form a big cheesy glob in the center of the batter. This should make about 5 bread slice shaped waffles.

After the waffles are cooked, crack an egg (or scramble one and pour) onto the waffle iron and cook for about 1 minute or until the egg is done.

You can also cook your bacon on the waffle iron, but I chose to use a pan.

Assemble the sandwich with extra cheese, if desired.

----------------------------------------------------------------


Strawberry Lemonade

1 can frozen lemonade concentrate

1 cup pureed strawberries

Mix lemonade according to package directions. Add in strawberries and chill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pork Medallions

1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2" slices

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 cup flour

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

2 TBSP butter

2 TBSP olive oil

Flatten pork to 1/4" thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip pork in flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs. Heat oil and butter in pan. Cook pork until juices run clear.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citrus Green Beans

3/4 lb fresh green beans

2 tsp olive oil

1 - 2 tsp grated orange peel

Salt and pepper to taste

Steam green beans 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer to a small bowl. Add oil, orange peel, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Amish White Bread

2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)

2/3 cup white sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup vegetable oil

6 cups bread flour

In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans. Brush with egg wash. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Brush with melted butter while still warm.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails