Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 2 - Recipes 2 & 3

Tonight was a really good night! I had planned on doing dinner and a movie with Anya. The
meal: Ratatouille. The movie: Ratatouille. What fun! Then I got a call from my friend Britteny and invited her and her 7 month old over for dinner. The more the merrier! We really had so much fun with this meal. I put on the movie while cooking (it takes about and hour and fifteen minutes) and Britteny and I chatted away in the kitchen.

I must admit that I was a little nervous about the meal, but as soon as it started cooking the aroma took over the house. It smelled SOOOOO good! And the best part is that it tasted great! Britteny even went back for more (sorry to call you out, Britteny!). Definately receives two thumbs up from me and I will be making it again. Oh, and if you like the arrangement of the bread, that is all Britteny! Way to make it pretty!

Since we had such a healthy dinner, I decided to splurge a little for dessert. I made Peanut Butter S'Mores. All I can say is "OH..... MY..... GOOODNESS"! It was heaven on a plate. These will be made time and time again. I'm glad I only made enough for dessert tonight or else I'd be sitting here chowing down on another one! This one you must definately try!!!

Anyway, here are the recipes. The Ratatouille recipe came from the "Cook's Bible" and the Peanut Butter S'More recipe from a "Taste of Home" magazine. I am including the recipe for my Big Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies that were the base for the S'Mores.

ENJOY!

Ratatouille

1 eggplant
4 TBSP olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, cut into bite size chunks
1 can diced tomatoes
2 zucchini, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
1 tsp sugar
2 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper

Trim the eggplant and cut into bite-size chunks, then place in a colander. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until softened slightly. Rinse the eggplant and drain well, then add it to the pan with the red bell peppers. Reduce the heat and cook gently, stirring frequently, for an additional 10 minutes.

Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, celery, sugar, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and transfer to serving plates. Garnish with fresh thyme.

*NOTE: Next time I make this I will substitute one yellow squash for one of the zucchinis. YUM!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Peanut Butter S'Mores

2 chocolate chip cookies
Hot fudge
Reese's Peanut Butter Cup
Marshmallows

Spread hot fudge on each cookie. Top bottom cookie with toasted marshmallow and peanut butter cup. Place other cookie on top. Drizzle with additional hot fudge, if desired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream butter and sugars; beat in vanilla and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by 1/4 cups on greased cookie sheet at least 3" apart. Bake 15-17 minutes or until edges are lightly toasted.

*NOTE: I like to refrigerate the dough for 15-20 minutes so that it can firm up a bit. It helps to prevent spreading.

2 comments:

ALLRED FAMILY said...

What a great idea...you're such a great mom. I admit I will be stealing this idea next week. I already made my menu and bought the groceries for this week. But it will be a Ratatouille night next Monday!

Anonymous said...

The smores look AWESOME! I'm going to make those for dessert tonight!

Related Posts with Thumbnails