Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 28 Part 1 - Recipes 48 & 49

I tried two recipes today, both of which were variations of an original.

For breakfast I tried an omlette roll that I found on Dine & Dish. I love finding new ways to prepare eggs, especially if I am having to prepare them for multiple people. I realize that Anya and I aren't exactly a crowd, but I wanted to try it out. I cut the recipe in half and topped it with cheddar and tomatoes. It was fluffy and really filling, probably due to the flour added in the recipe. Was it better than a traditional omlette? No. But it wasn't worse, either and I prefered it over the Ziploc omlettes. I wouldn't make this again for just me, but if I am having company it would definately make the menu.


Next I made a variation on my mom's Oatmeal Quickie recipe. Most people have some sort of variation of this basic no bake cookie, however many I have seen have way more cocoa powder added in. I prefer my mom's version as it has just the right amount of chocolate and peanut butter. I got the idea to use Nutella in place of the peanut butter from Bake or Break. In hindsight, I wish I would've left the cocoa powder out completely. The mixture of Nutella and cocoa powder made it more chocolatey than I would've liked. But, sometimes I get in a frenzy in the kitchen and my hands work faster than my brain. This frequently happens when both kids are sleeping and I am trying to accomplish 80 tasks before they wake up! Anyway... these cookies were good, but for me, nothing tops the combination of chocolate and peanut butter, not even my beloved Nutella.


Omlette Roll


SERVES 4 -6


6 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cooked ham, chopped or
9 slices of any deli ham
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Beat eggs and milk until fluffy. Add flour, salt and pepper and beat or whisk until smooth.


Pour into a buttered or greased 9 x 13 baking dish or pan. Bake for about 15 minutes or until eggs are just about set.


Sprinkle with chopped ham or lay slices of ham evenly on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.


Starting at short side, roll up omelet while still in pan. Place seam side down on serving dish.
Cut into slices.



*Can use any toppings you desire! The possibilities are endless!*

---------------------------------------------



Mom's Oatmeal Quickies


Nutella Oatmeal Quickies

1 stick butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 TBSP cocoa
3 cups quick oats
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
Nuts and coconut - optional


Bring butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Mix remaining ingredients in large bowl; add boiled mixture. Stir well. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool.

1 comments:

sarah said...

this is great! i just saw that omlette roll the other day and thought i would love to try it!! you beat me to the punch!

p.s. i love your mom's oatmeal quickies too! yum!

Related Posts with Thumbnails