Monday, March 5, 2012

30 by 30: Homemade English Muffins

 I have a little more than 6 months left until my 30th birthday and considering I have only posted 1 other "30 by 30" recipe I figured I needed to get busy!!!

English muffins have been on my list for quite some time now but I never got around to making them. They aren't difficult to make and taste SO good when they are fresh! I will definitely be making them more often!

To view my 30 by 30 list click HERE.


Homemade English Muffins
Recipe from AllRecipes

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1/4 cup warm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees)
1 cup milk, scalded
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 egg, beaten
Cornmeal
Dissolve yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in water. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine milk, butter, salt, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat well with an electric mixer. Add egg and yeast mixture; beat until smooth. By hand, stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl; cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Place on floured surface. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut into 4-in. circles. Allow to rise until doubled.
Lightly sprinkle an electric fry pan or griddle with cornmeal. Bake over low heat for 10 minutes until nicely browned. Turn and bake 10 minutes longer. Cool. Store in the refrigerator.
To serve, split with a fork and toast.

1 comments:

Monica said...

They look awesome! English muffins have been on my list of things to bake for a long time too, I will have to make them soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails