Monday, January 24, 2011

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake

Before I get to this wonderful cake, I wanted to apologize for my absence this month. The first week or so of the year, I was a little sugared out from the holidays. Then we were out of town for a bit for a family emergency. I hope I can make up it up to you with this slice of heaven. :)

I first saw this cake on Michelle's wonderful blog, Flourchild. Really, can you go wrong with chocolate chips in a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting?

This is a cross between a cake and a brownie. Moist and delicious and chocolatey. The only change I made was with the frosting. I have been using THIS RECIPE for the last two years and it is my go-to chocolate frosting. A-MAZ-ING!

Enjoy!


Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 squares(1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
2 tsps vanilla extract
5 eggs
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter milk
2 cups(2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. ADD chocolate and vanilla;mix well.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with butter milk. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Pour into three greased and floured 9- inch round cake pans (I used two deep 8" pans). Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool.

Frost with desired frosting.

6 comments:

Shelby said...

Looks yummy Cristine :o)

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Jennifurla said...

Welcome back to blogland, what a lovely way to start!

teresa said...

so yummy! love chocolate cake!

chelsea said...

Me too! I love chocolate cakes!


Garage Doors Dallas | Windows 7

Lisa said...

Wow, chocolate times three. This looks wonderfully dark and delicious. I have a new dessert linky going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails