Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cookie Carnival: Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

We got home from Rome at about 2 o'clock this morning and I am EXHAUSTED! I am currently working on my 4th cup of coffee and I am still in danger of falling asleep while typing! :) But, I needed something to do to help keep me awake and so a blog post was in order!

Rome was amazing and everything we thought it would be. Our awesome friends watched the kids for us and we took 2 days and tried to squeeze in everything. We walked for about 7 hours each day and didn't get much sleep, but it was so worth it! I will post some pictures tomorrow when I get them uploaded.

In the meantime, how about a Cookie Carnival? These cookies were AMAZING! They tasted exactly like a strawberry shortcake in cookie form, hence the name. I really liked these a lot. The only problem with this recipe is the shelf life. They really need to be eaten the day they are made, but with as good as they are it shouldn't be a problem!



Enjoy!


STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE COOKIES
MARTHA STEWART
Makes about 3 dozen.

* 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
* 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
* 2/3 cup heavy cream
* Sanding sugar, for sprinkling


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining
7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.

2. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.

15 comments:

Shelby said...

So nice you got to experience a few days away by yourselves and in all places - in Rome!

The cookies look great!

Rachelle S said...

Sounds like a fantastic time in Rome!

I am making these today too, did you leave your cream at room temp? I'm wondering if you're supposed to.

Risa said...

So glad to hear you had a great time in Rome! The cookies look great.

margot said...

What a lovely summer cookie! And how nice to get a little getaway in Rome!

Creative Classroom Core said...

These cookies sound amazing!!!

Katy ~ said...

Cristine, it sounds as if Rome was dreamy.

Those cookies do sound good! Love strawberries!

Michele said...

I'm so glad that you had a great trip! These cookies look amazing.

Katrina said...

What a great little vacay!
Awesome sounding cookies!

Bunny said...

Good for you you got to go away!!! I can't wait to see the pictures! This cookie looks so good, I could I pass up a cookie that tastes like strawberry shortcake!

teresa said...

Welcome home, sounds like a wonderful trip! These cookies look divine!

teresa said...

Welcome home, sounds like a wonderful trip! These cookies look divine!

Pamela said...

You beat me to it! I have a post ready to go but haven't' added the pics yet! Weren't these fantastic? I have more strawberries and I'm thinking of making them again. But then I'll have to eat them all ASAP! They looks wonderful!

Pamela said...

Oh, P.S. Welcome back! Hope the trip was fabulous!

Coleens Recipes said...

These cookies are so pretty and would be GREAT for a baby shower or special occasion

Martha said...

Rome. I'm jealous. Was there several years ago and can't wait to get back.

I too loved these strawberry shortcake cookies and am looking forward to Giada's lemon ricotta gems this month!

Related Posts with Thumbnails