Sunday, June 27, 2010

Daring Bakers: Chocolate Pavlova with Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse


The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard.

Talk about waiting until the last minute to complete a challenge! I didn't start this until 7 pm last night. Oops! I wanted to try it, though, so it was worth staying up and getting it finished. The pictures suffered a bit and considering it is brown on top of brown, the picture really needed all the help it could get. Oh well.....

The base is a chocolate pavlova which is basically a chocolate meringue. It is crunchy on the outside and chewy (almost marshmallowy) on the inside. Incredibly good but also incredibly rich. Small portions are a must with this!

The mousse is made with cream, mascarpone, and chocolate. Very delicious, but also rich. Again.... small portions!

The pavlova is topped off with creme anglaise (I used Dorie Greenspan's recipe for this).

Overall, it wasn't a terribly difficult challenge, but it was a little time consuming considering the pavlova had to bake for 2 hours. I'm not sure I'll be making this regularly but I am glad I tried it!

6 comments:

Jaime said...

you did a beautiful job with your piping! i was lazy and just plopped everything free form onto the plate!

Eliana said...

WOW - you did an awesome job with this one Cristine. It looks delicious.

natalia said...

Well it was a great try I think your pavlova look wonderful !

Audax said...

Beautiful work on this challenge and brown on brown on brown really does work for this challenge. Nice photos also. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've been wanting to try making a pavlova for quite some time. I need to just do it. Kudos for getting yours done.
~ingrid

Nachiketa said...

difficult it was... am glad we made it... :)
your pictures are very nice...

cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Related Posts with Thumbnails